Monday, January 09, 2006

Equipment Malfunction!


I had a plan. I was going to roast a sweet potato on my break today. Sometime this week when not working or in school, I was going to try to make said sweet potato into gnocchi (prohnounced NYOWkee with a long "o" or NYAHkee). I was thinking about a brown butter sauce with rosemary, though I hadn't settled on that particular detail. I don't need a broken stove. But that's what I have, and why is my stove broken? It's electric. Gas stoves work. They may have hot spots. Pilot lights go out, but you don't turn on the stove and find that it doesn't work. This particular range, in addition to not working, has given me a lovely selection of problems. It always smokes when turned on. The largest (and thus best) burner was the site of a recent grease fire (there was no cleanable pan under the burner, and thus grease was allowed to build up mostly unseen), and after about ten minutes of being used, will tilt to the right. A simmer burner (this is only a minor distinction; all the burners are small) is fitted with the wrong knob; thus far I've only found "off" and "high" by trial and error, and this morning, when I went to toast some pecans for my yogurt, I turned the knob, heard a pop, saw a flash at the connection of the wire and the coil, and lost power in that burner. I just discovered that other burners work, but not wanting to be the victim of an elctrical fire, plan to clean my kitchen so I can hit up the leasing office before going back to work.

No comments: