Friday, November 02, 2007

Fingers Crossed


I'm driving down to Forest Park in eight hours for the Agriculture Department's public hearing on a rules change that would dye raw milk gray in order to discourage human consumption. It's a hard rule to protest rationally: The dye won't change the flavor or nutrition profile, but seriously, who would ever want to drink gray milk?

There are a few things in our favor: the Commissioner of Agriculture's comments to the press suggest that he might be open to more stringent warnings rather than dye, and the General Mills pizza recall comes as an auspicious reminder that industrial food sickens us far more frequently than raw milk.

Since most in favor of the rules change and further moves to make raw milk inaccessible view its consumption by people as a peccadillo of affluent highly-educated hippies, the argument that consumers are unaware of the inherent risks in consuming unpasteurized milk is ridiculous. Further, Georgia farmers getting Georgia dollars should appeal to anyone with an appreciation for basic economics. And the inverse: Georgia farmers suddenly losing a chunk of spendable capital should appeal to the supply-siders who lack such an appreciation. And since Georgia is a red state, down to the very dirt, I hope that the phrase "nanny state" will induce rabid cuts in governmental involvement, as it usually does in good conservatives, for at least the next few weeks until the newsmedia latches onto the teat of the recent study that finds higher instances of cancer in obese people.

Unfortunately, I've lived in Atlanta my whole life, so I've watched public officials ignore reason before. Are you there, Atlanta sewers? No? Blue laws, can you hear me?

I'm aware that I will likely leave Forest Park disappointed. But I hear that there's a great Oaxacan place with tlayuda down there. And maybe I can find a diner or truck stop with some good eggs and coffee. So hopefully the food with first fortify, and then cheer me.

Wish me luck!


Also:
AJC story by Kessler
Pizza Recall Story
It says they serve breakfast. Pero ellos tienen cafe?

E-mail the Commissioner of Agriculture at tirvin@agr.state.ga.us

1 comment:

Neversphere said...

So how did the hearing go?