Monday, April 07, 2008

Food in Media: Notes, and a Rant



Chef has given me an extra day off, which means that I have 24 hours of leisure time before worrying about packing for a short trip across the pond, making the apartment look like a civilized person lives here, and dealing with the bacon that I'm curing. Mostly, I've wasted it, though I made a nice dinner for a couple of good friends tonight. And then I started reading my Google Reader. And then I got my new issue of Food & Wine, in which Atlanta, yet again, got the shaft.

This month's issue included a "Go Guide" of places to go all over the world. The first entry in America's alphabetical list, as always, was Boston. And dammit, I'm tired of it. I'm tired of hearing about how Atlanta is a great place to live, a lousy place to visit. I'm tired of hearing and seeing Southern food disdained as nothing but fried chicken and chitlins. I'm dubious that travelers never find themselves in Atlanta wondering where to eat. We've got some great restaurants. Not just good, great, and although I haven't experienced enough of the world to say it confidently, I think we've got some world class restaurants. I work at Woodfire, which I consider one of the greats. Where else? Off the top of my head, I would say Pura Vida, Bacchanalia, Quinones, Agave and Five Seasons brewing There are plenty of others that I really like, but unless I've worked or eaten in them a few times, I won't give a pass. I'd like to eat a JCT, for example, and wouldn't refuse a dinner at Restaurant Eugene or Watershed.

But every time I get a national publication that purports to list the major American cities, and their best restaurants, Atlanta doesn't make the cut. I mean, Phoenix/Scottsdale qualified, despite the fact that none of F&W's choices served Southwestern food. In fact, there were two Sushi bars. Two. In Phoenix. American Express Publishes F&W, so surely their people have skymiles cards. Can't they come give us a shot?

RANT

Click on the link and read the article. Done? OK. Italians have a strong culinary tradition, to put it mildly. The one thing that has sustained Italians over centuries of political and economic uncertainty has been an amazing agricultural tradition, which argues for the resilience of a society with strong agricultural footing, economically speaking. They're proud-WAY proud-of their food. We get it. As an American cook reading this article, I'm unsurprised, but pissed off.

I've listened to servers bitch about Mexicans in restaurants, and wondered if they were blind or just stupid. I've heard laypeople bemoan that adults from other countries and not teenagers (the children who are our future) work the line, wash the dishes, clean the place, and do jobs that Americans, with our until-recently-famous work ethic, don't want. But I hate it.

I've recently wrote that in cooking "there are strict rules to follow." That's not a lie, and chefs are very clear about what those rules are. Anyone who is proficient in the language, willing to learn, and supervised can produce any dish that will please any grandmother of any nationality. Ever. It's ridiculous to refuse to eat at a place where the labor, or even the chefs, didn't grow up cooking your pasta carbonara. If the chef is well-trained, you won't be left wanting. I would guess that plenty of French and Spanish chefs make pasta in Italy, to the accolades that locals withhold from Turks and Jordanians.

Xenophobia pisses me off. Racism leaves me apoplectic. I don't care if you're talking about food or people in the streets. It doesn't fly. Ever. Cooking is science, and those of us who do it aren't that special unless we have a flawless palate and a genius for innovation. Dear Italy: You're not so special. Get over yourselves.

No comments: