Sunday, June 14, 2009

Can I have my stuff yet?

While we moved a pallet of our most essential belongings over here, we left behind about twice that, scattered among our parents' homes, friends kitchens and backyards. I haven't yet bid my tearful "See you in six weeks." to my cast iron--I've got a farewell batch of cornbread planned for tomorrow night--but we're slowly whittling down to the wok, frying pan and saucepan that sustained us for our first month in the flat.

This makes my reader--and Mission: Professional Chef--a frustrating experience. I want to tick off brown stocks and sauces in my project book, try any of the awesome-looking grilling recipes in gourmet's June issue, make rhubarb mustard or try my hand at canning. When a chef finds herself unable to cook, stir-craziness can only ensue.

So here are some links. Try what's in them for me, won't you?

I want to try the sweetbreads, the chicken kebabs, and the pork roast NOW. I think that the rest can actually wait five minutes, but no more.

For foragers.

My quince mustard from the fall? Still awesome.

Canning in the NYT. Given the recession and the drive to minimize waste in the kitchen, tactics like preserving and foraging seem poised to become very popular, at least in the press. I loved curing bacon and making sausages; canning seems like a natural extension of the same ethos to make the most of what we have, and a great way for chefs to keep menus exciting by putting little whispers of last season's bounty on the plate.

This doesn't make me drool. But Nan helpfully reminded me of it in her comment to my last post. If you've got time on this Sunday, read about the challenges to our ocean life. If you just want to find out what to get for dinner, click on the seafood guide. If your fishmonger can't answer the necessary questions that you'll have about the source of your fish, don't buy. I know that the Dekalb farmers' market in Atlanta used to display lots of information about the fish that it sold.

I've really gotta get back to staring into space and dreaming of what I'll do with a charcoal grill, a smoker, and a giant stock pot.

POSTSCRIPT!

I nearly forgot--I will likely be in Hilton Head in the next few weeks. I usually try to find markets, exciting if inexpensive restaurants, and fun foodie things to do, and I have little luck finding these things on my own. I will not be there over the weekend. Any suggestions?

No comments: