Monday, March 10, 2008

He Came! He Came!



Mr. Edges visited us on Friday. It's like Christmas, but with sharp knives when that happens. He even put a sharp edge on the walmart knife I got when I was seventeen, and donated to the restaurant for cutting pasta. He even remade the tip. And nothing, nothing was better than the first shallot I cut with the new edge on My Knife. Such precision! Such control! Such ease!


Usually the day that the knives get sharpened a note goes on the board: "Caution- Knives sharpened TODAY!" A sharp knife is indeed much safer than a dull one. But if you cut yourself with a sharp knife, you'll do far more damage. Since the servers have to use a kitchen knife for their lemons, we feel a responsibility to warn them.


We cooks on the other hand know that someone will cut the hell out of themselves with a newly-sharpened knife, and joke about it, holding our collective breath. So far, no new wounds (knocks on wood). But the knives are still sharp...

2 comments:

MokGiMa! said...

Stella ought not be permitted to play with pointy objects. Can you cut shallots with a corked knife?

:)

Shameless plug:
http://atlantamusictherapy.blogspot.com/

-M

epicure said...

I actually was not the first casualty this time around. And thanks for the reminder-I'll add it to my list.